As the spring season charges ahead, you find yourself getting more and more excited about making fresh starts in your life, which includes your oral health. In your quest to make improvements in this area, you’re looking for something simple yet effective. Thankfully, there is a remedy that delivers just what you need – semi-annual visits to your dentist in Rocky River for preventive care. As you read on, you’ll learn why these appointments are so important.
Why Does Preventive Care Matter?
The word ‘prevention’ sums up the significance of these visits. Anytime you can get ahead of problems and focus more of your attention on managing your wellness, you are able to experience what it feels like to have a wealth of health.
Here’s what happens at these visits:
- Communication – You’ll meet with your dental hygienist to discuss your current health condition, medications you’re taking and any questions you may have.
- Cleaning – Your hygienist will also provide you with a thorough cleaning to remove harmful bacteria, plaque buildup and tartar. This is very important because the foregoing three are nemeses to your oral health and contribute to a host of problems like gum disease, tooth loss and even cardiovascular disease due to the fact that plaque can travel to the heart.
- Examinations – Both your hygienist and dentist will conduct tedious examinations to ensure that you don’t have any developing issues. If any are discovered, though, a plan of action can be formulated on the spot to address them.
Still, there are even more benefits to receiving regular oral care.
Six-Month Visits Save Money?
There are other reasons for maintaining your semi-annual visits. Not only will they help to protect your oral health, but you will also save money. That’s because most insurance providers offer the huge incentive of paying up to 100 percent of the costs for preventive care visits.
For those who procrastinate, though, and suffer from more advanced dental problems that are the result of negligence, they can expect to incur more out-of-pocket costs. So by being forward moving, you can enjoy a healthier mouth and wallet.
Why Six Months?
You may be wondering what the significance of the six-month time span between visits is. The following explains why this is the optimal preventive care schedule:
- An Excellent Way to Identify Decay – Most dental problems don’t just appear. They develop over time. For example, a cavity can sometimes fester for years before you have noticeable traits. By visiting your dentist semi-annually, you’re almost guaranteed to catch problems in their earliest, least aggressive stages, which completely expands your options for care.
- Convenience – It’s also much more convenient to schedule appointments twice a year because it allows you to plan accordingly, whether it’s with your job or with your children’s schedules at school. If you’re a parent, one helpful convenience hack that you can consider is to schedule your six-month visits during summer break and around the holiday season. This strategy guarantees that no school is missed and allows you to bring the whole family in for care at one time.
Now that you have more information on how important the six-month visit is, take the opportunity to schedule your first appointment, so that you can ensure your oral health for years to come!
About the Author
Dr. William L. Eick earned his dental degree from the Ohio State University College of Dentistry. Since then, he has gone on to provide his patients with expert and compassionate care for over two decades. To stay abreast of the latest advancements in dentistry, he maintains memberships with several professional organizations. Dr. Eick can be reached for more information through his website.